Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Connection to the Real World! (3)

I'm really not much for superheroes. To be perfectly honest, they've always seemed very cheesy, wimpy, unrealistic, and just plain obnoxious. However, the Batman is a hero that I've always loved, since my early childhood, because of the realism of his character. I've always loved the idea that he's not necessarily a "superhero", but rather, he's a masked vigilante. Ever since I started this philosophy course, I've started to notice many of the philosophies we've talked about integrated into the real world. In this beautifully deep and thoughtful connection, I'd like to take a look at two of the characters in the Batman universe.


Batman is a rationalist, which means a number of things:
1. He's rational (funnily enough).
2. He essentially rejects his emotions when making decisions.
3. Everything needs to be based on fact.
4. Very logic driven, but to the point.


Now, let's take a look at the Joker.
1. Instead of repressed his impulses and emotions, he embraces them, and lets them take control.
2. He doesn't need facts, he just needs a reason to do something.
3. "I'm like a dog chasing car. I just… do."
4. Embraces theatrics.


I've always been intrigued with this. I like this idea of how two polar opposite philosophies can clash, and do some amazing things, such as create what was considered "one of the greatest sequels (and superhero films) of all time".

No comments:

Post a Comment